Saturday, May 12, 2007

"A Little Christian Habit"

This was a part of my devotional reading this morning. I am really enjoying going through, My Upmost For HIs Highest by Oswald Chambers.
Having young children, this portion of what he had to say really made an impression. There have been times in my life when, without realizing it, I was, "worshiping the habit instead of what the habit symbolizes."
I used to religiously try to do my devotions at the same time every morning. It would always be that something would arise...a crying baby, a hungry, barking and meowing dog and cats, a phone call from someone looking for my Pastor husband, etc.
I tried ignoring all the interruptions. I tried "praying them away." I tried turning the fan on when it was right by my ear, to drown the world out, (However, this didn't settle very well with the Mommy side of me. I found my mind constantly wondering if I heard one of the kids needing me or calling me). So, I've had to make some changes. Now, I spend quiet time with God at my fist available moment of the day. Sometimes, it's in the morning, sometimes at night. Either way, it's not a religious ritual for me anymore, it's much more simple. I loose all the rules of what, when, where, why and how. Now, I enjoy a much better, more relaxed time with the Lord.

(A portion of today's devotional)

"For if these things are yours and abound, they make you to be not idle nor unfruitful." 2 Peter 1:8 (R.V.)

Your god may be your little Christian habit, the habit of prayer at stated times, or the habit of Bible reading. Watch how your Father will upset those times if you begin to worship your habit instead of what the habit symbolizes - I can't do that just now, I am praying; it is my hour with God. No, it is your hour with your habit. There is a quality that is lacking in you. Recognize the defect and then look for the opportunity of exercising yourself along the line of the quality to be added.

-Oswald Chambers

1 comment:

Julo said...

Thank you for sharing this!!! As the mom of young kids, I can really beat myself up about this subject.