Sunday, May 20, 2007

Homeschooling vs. Public School?

My husband and I are at a stage right now in our parenting where we are trying to decide what would be better for our family, public school or homeschool. Now we know we have time, our oldest is only a toddler. We are praying about what God would have us to do. I am also doing a lot of online reading on the subject.
I am such a novice on the subject, my husband, myself, and basically everyone we know was raised in public school. An example of where I'm at exactly is, I spent about an hour last night reading about the Charlotte Mason method. I am learning that there are so many different kinds of homeschool (I had no idea!). So, I would like to see if anyone out there has any web sights, etc. that might be helpful on the subject?

4 comments:

Alida Sharp said...

I have graduated one homeschooler and my last one is in 11th grade right now. I never used a specific curriculum but tailored the material I used for each child. I would suggest going to your local library and checking out all the homeschooling books you find. There are as many ways to homeschool as there are homeschooling families!
All God's Best, Alida

Help meet said...

Thanks for the advice blackpurl. I'll have to see what our local library has. Also, congratulations on your homeschooling sucess!

Julo said...

I homeschool by default (there's no Christian school around here), and I found Mary Pride's Complete Guide to Getting Started Homeschooling to be invaluable. She has chapters on all the different methods (such as classical, charlotte mason, unit studies, etc.) You're smart to be thinking about this now! I also found Lisa Whelchel's book So You're Thinking about Homeschooling good, too. Each chapter is like a snapshot into the life of a different homeschooling family. You also might do a google search and find your state's Christian homeschool group. A lot of times they will have beginners workshops or other resources for you. Blessings! This is a huge decision!

Help meet said...

There are no Christian schools out here either. These sound like some great resources, thanks for the help!