Wednesday, May 2, 2007

The Nursery Blues

I feel so overwhelmed. Teaching a children’s class at church, seems like it should be just that, but it’s not. Each week, I prepare my lesson and spend time praying for those in my class, and on Wednesday evenings I teach.
I laugh to myself as I think about the first class when I had my fussy baby on my hip and my toddler running around my feet as I tried to “teach” class. It was more like the kids in class watched me running around like a chicken with its head cut off. I tried to juggle both, but it was apparent that it wasn’t working very well. It was a transitional moment.
Before this, I had been the Nursery worker. Then God directed me to teaching a children’s class. It’s been providing other Nursery workers to take my place that has been so difficult. We managed to get three ladies to volunteer, and they were on a rotation. This lasted about a month, when because of one thing or another, we ended up with only one worker left. This person isn’t prepared to work in the Nursery every week, as she is still very young in the Lord, and needs a lot of care and attention.
So, it’s a fragile and exhausting situation, which resulted in me having to cancel today’s class. Which meant calling everyone in the class and explaining in a diplomatic way why were not having it. This is so hard for me to do when I am so burdened, I just wanted to say so much more. I kept hoping, during my phone conversations, that someone would volunteer to help, unfortunately, none did.
At this point, I am wondering what to do. I just don’t know where it all went wrong? I thought God wanted me to teach a children’s class. I’ve ended up however feeling quite overwhelmed at trying to organize a Nursery ministry and teach a children’s class. All it seems to have resulted in at this point is me providing a sort of daycare for infants through 8th grade on Wednesday nights. Whew!

3 comments:

Julo said...

Boy does this resonate with me! I'm afraid it's the plight of many, many small churches. My friend in new york whose a pastor's wife only has her own kids during wednesday night, sunday night, and the church service. It can wear you down. We found that we had a high schooler who was interested in teaching the children on Wednesday night. We actually pay her $10, but she turns around and uses the money for supplies (she's a fabulous kid). She's been doing it over a year. I'm wondering if some youth couldn't help pick up the slack? Have you announced the need publically with a sign up sheet perhaps? Just some practical ideas...blessings

Help meet said...

These are some great ideas! Actually, I will be passing out a sign up sheet tomorrow. I think it will open people's eyes to the situation. I don't think they fully realize how much help is needed. After that, we'll have to re-evaluate things. Maybe paying someone a little money, as I know a lot of churches do that.
As far as your friend goes, boy do I know how that is. For the first year or so we were here, that was me! It was pretty much only my kids in the nursery. It's nice to know someone else understands.

Gledwood said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.