Tuesday, May 29, 2007

"Come On, Everybody Else is Doing it."

What is it about people who are drinking alcohol, when they insist that everyone have a drink, even if not everyone wants one?
Yesterday, we went to a family BBQ for Memorial Day. The kids had a great time spending time with cousins, aunts, uncles, Grandma and Grandpa. The food was delicious; there was a little bit of everything it seemed (sort of like potluck style.)
The only thing was, it was like being in high school all over again when it came to not wanting a drink. Can I just say that this is a continuing, "issue," with family for me. I’m not really sure why, since alcohol is not a big deal to me, and I really don't care if people choose to drink. But, I can't say the same for those there who were drinking. It’s not the first time that this has happened, but it becomes such a big deal to some people who do drink for me to drink too.
This time it was even more ridiculous, when nobody even asked me if I wanted anything, and my sister-in-law and mother-in-law fixed one up for me in the kitchen and brought it to me without even asking. I didn't say anything out loud, but I did feel like they were making an awful big deal out of something that didn't need to be. So, I asked God to help me in this uncomfortable situation. Then something really funny happened, my little darling daughter pulled the tablecloth off the table, and "whoops," there went my drink. Nothing was really said, since they noticed that I hadn't drank any of it anyways, and it was just sitting there.
A bit later my sister-in-law asked me, "Why don't you drink?" My mother-in-law chimed in, "well, she used to, you should have seen her when we were at...(and on it went.)" And she was right, I did used to drink, but I don't want to anymore. I can relax and have a good time without it. I like the taste of wine, and my husband and I will have a glass of wine if it's just the two of us.
So I said, "You know, I don't have a problem with somebody drinking. The problem for us is when it comes to leadership, and trying to counsel families who falling apart because of problems with alcohol." I said, "I know its just family, but we live in a small community, and rumors get started, and on it goes." She actually seemed to understand this explanation pretty well. Maybe it's because although she didn't say, her husband is an alcoholic. He's almost lost his job and his family over it. That’s why I thought it was especially crazy that she was trying so hard to get me to have a drink when I didn't even want one.
Anyways, God worked it out, and I was ready to go home when it was time. This morning, thinking about everything, I still think the whole thing was pretty silly...like a scene right out of high school. It's interesting to me how people feel so uncomfortable drinking when other people aren't. That they try everything they can to get you to drink like them (especially the Pastor's wife.) Wouldn't it have made them feel so much better, if they could have gone to town the next day and told all their friends that the Pastor's wife was drinking!
I'm sitting here laughing, laughing because of how ridiculous it is, and how immature adults can be!

2 comments:

Julo said...

I've had the same experience as an adult! When we were in seminary (an SBC one), you had to sign a paper that said you wouldn't drink while you were there. While we aren't total abstainers, we did abstain for those four years out of respect for the authority God had put over us at that time. Anyway, I was out to dinner with the ladies from my part time job (I worked 6 hours a week in the early mornings at a fitness center), and they were just begging me to have a margarita when all I honestly wanted was an iced tea. They wouldn't leave me alone about it. I didn't even try to explain, I just kept saying, "No thank you, I'm fine." It was worse than high school! So frustrating. Just let people live their lives, you know?

Help meet said...

Wow, the immaturity of some people is disturbing. Why they just can't have a drink and not worry about anyone else...I just don't get it?