Saturday, July 21, 2007

Got Milk?

The price of a gallon of milk is rumored to go up to $5 a gallon soon!
It's already $4.50 where we live and I think thats expensive!

So... I tried following some advice I got from a couple of different moms,
(one is over at hillbillyhousewife.com)!

I'm now mixing equal parts powdered milk and regular milk.
So, when we buy one gallon, just by mixing it with powdered milk,
we double the amount from one to two gallons!

We drink about three gallons of milk a week in our family.
With milk prices at $4.50/gallon, that costs $13.50 a week ($54.00 a month) just for milk!

Now that were mixing powdered with regular, I am cutting my cost in half, to $2.25/gallon, $6.75 a week ($27.00 a month)!
Thats almost $30 a month savings, and $360 a year savings!

I was pleasantly surprised at how good, and like regular milk it tasted!
My little guy didn't even discriminate, he can't even tell the difference.

One piece of advice I got, and that I try to do is
to make the milk at night, and let it chill overnight
to let it get nice and cold. This helps the flavor.

2 comments:

Julo said...

COOL! Did you mix the powdered milk as prepared on the box with the regular milk, or did you just add powder to the milk you just bought? Silly question, but as a concrete sequential learner, I need DETAILS. :)

Help meet said...

Your funny, I learn the same way!
I'll try to explain a little better...
In a 1/2 gallon pitcher I wisk the powdered milk and water together as indicated on the box, then I add to that an equal amount of regular milk. So I basically make the powdered milk recipe on the box, and then spruce it up a little by adding regular milk to it!
So, with one gallon of milk, and two 1/2 gallon pitchers, I do this process four times.
At this point, this works best for me. At some point maybe I'll get bigger pitchers, or something like that.
I'm not the best at explaining sometimes, so I hope this answers your question.